Further Information for Exchange Students

UniBwM was established in order to provide officers of the German Federal Armed Forces with a university-level education.  Our students are selected by the German Ministry of Federal Defences.  For this reason, sending an application directly to the University is not an option. International students can study at our university in the framework of an exchange program with another university (partner) or if they are sent by a defence ministry of a foreign country. The latter requires a special agreement between the ministries. You can find out whether such an agreement has been made between Germany and your home country by contacting your home country’s ministry of defences.  If you have further questions regarding this procedure, please contact the German Military Attaché at the German Embassy in your home country.

Exchange students are students who have been selected by a partner university for studying at UniBwM for a maximum period of 12 months within the scope of an exchange program (e.g. ERASMUS+) or a bilateral university agreement. For a list of all UniBwM partner unversities, please see here. After completing their stay at UniBwM, exchange students will return to their home university in order to complete their degree programs.

Exchange at UniBwM in a few easy steps


Have you been selected by your home university for studying abroad at UniBwM within the ERASMUS+ program or a bilateral university agreement and nominated for an exchange with us? Before you can apply as an exchange student at UniBwM, your application is subject to your nomination by your home university. As exchange student from a partner university, tuition fees do not apply while at UniBwM.

Application Deadlines

The application deadlines for sending us your application as an exchange student are:

June 30th  when applying for the forthcoming Fall trimester (from October until December)

September 30th when applying for the upcoming Winter trimester (from January until March)

January 15th when applying for the Spring trimester of each year (from April until June)

Application Documents

Please submit a single copy of each of the following documents within the deadlines indicated above:

  • Registration form
  • Letter of Motivation in English or German (approx. 1 page outlining your motivation for studying abroad at UniBwM)
  • Transcript of records (= itemized academic performance to date). If you are a Master's student, please also include your transcript from the Bachelor's degree. We accept transcripts in German or English (if necessary, please translate and have the translation certified and stamped by your home university). A simple copy is sufficient. 
  • Document listing the courses you are enrolled in this current semester and that are in pending and consequently not yet listed on your transcript of records ( Form 1)
  • CV in German or English
  • Photocopy of your passport/ID card
  • Learning Agreement (or Study program): list of courses you want to attend at UniBwM (If you have questions please discuss your study plans with your Erasmus Officer at your home university and the International Affairs Delegate at your UniBwM department). Please complete the learning agreement in German or in English. Please check with your home university, if a special form is needed. 
  • Certificate of health and nursing care insurance in conformity with German legal requirements (to be provided at the latest upon arrival)
  • German language certificate (a certificate confirming your current German language skills; this certificate can be issued by your home university or by a language school), in case you intend to attend courses in German at UniBw M
  • Two passport photographs (to be handed to me upon arrival; one is needed for your enrollment request and the second one for your sports membership card)

Please send your application documents (with the exception of the two passport pictures) by email to susanna.nofal@unibw.de.

Language Skills

The great majority of courses taught at UniBwM, are taught in German language. When intending to attend these courses, German skills at proficiency level are key.
UniBw M departments in the technical fields request a German language certificate of at least level B1. For studies at the Social Sciences department of Human Sciences department, proof of German skills at B2 level are the requirement. Please provide us with a valid German language certificate or have this DAAD (= German Academic Exchange Service) Language Certificate completed by a qualified and licenced German language teacher.

If you would like to attend courses in English, an excellent knowledge of English - at least B2 - is indispensable.

Course Selection

Every degree program at UniBwM comes with a specific module handbook that contains an overview of the overall composition and module structure of a specific study program, including detailed descriptions of every module to be completed during the study program as well as information on the contents of lectures, seminars and trainings, assessment, and the amount of ECTS points awarded for each module.
You can download these module handbooks in German on our university website.

The academic year at UniBwM is devided in trimesters, not semesters. Please download our Academic Calender 2018. The UniBwM electronic course catalogue contains detailed information and timetables for all courses offered by all departments during the forthcoming/running trimesters.
Unfortunately, you will not be able to gain access to this information until after you will have arrived at our university, as you will need an activated log-in account to do so, which can only be set up upon your arrival at our computer center.

Contact us for further information on courses offered in English and/or assistance in composing your Learning Agreement. We will refer your academic questions about classes to the International Affairs Delegate at the respective UniBwM department.

Health and Nursing Care Insurance

In Germany, most people are obliged by law to have health and nursing care insurance. As this obligation applies to both national as international students, exchange students are required to register with a statutory health insurance or a private health insurance provider. Usually, policies are offered to students at discounted fees. Proof of health and nursing care insurance that is in conformity with German laws and regulations is mandatory for all students in order to be enrolled at a German university. As a rule these certificates of vaild German regulated health and nursing care insurance bear the stamp "For submission to authorities".
For further reading on the topic, please visit the website of the German Academic Exchange Service:

PLEASE NOTE: International emergency travel insurance policies do not conform to German laws and regulations concerning student health and nursing care insurance as they only cover in case of emergency, and will not be accepted for enrollment.

How to give valid proof of health and nursing care insurance?

Students from countries in the EU:
Please send the completed  AOK-Form and a copy of your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) via email to this email address: muenchen.studenten@service.by.aok.de
Shortly after you will receive your valid certificate of health insurance for enrollment at UniBwM.

Students from non-EU countries:
Write an email including your personal information such as your name, date of birth, home country, and sex, to: muenchen.studenten@service.by.aok.de
The AOK, a German insurance statutory insurance company, will varify your current health insurance policy. In case the AOK sends you an reply indicating that your health insurance cannot be accepted for enrollment at a German university, proceed as follows:
Complete the application form sent to you by AOK, and sign it. You will need a German address and a German bank account for payment. If those details are not available to you yet, please leave out as address and bank details can be given later after your arrival in Germany. Scan your filled out and signed application form to your AOK-adviser and you will receive your certificate of valid health and nursing care insurance required for enrollment soon after.

The "German Academic Exchange Service" offers an affordable combined health, accident and liability insurance package:

Visa Regulations

EU nationals do not require a visa to enter the Federal Republic of Germany.

Non-EU nationals
Most other foreigners do require a visa for stays in Germany. For visits up to 90 days in a 180-day period a visa is not required for nationals of those countries for which the EU has abolished the visa requirements. You will find a good overview on visa requirements on the website of Germany's Federal Foreign Office.

The Federal Foreign Office also provides detailed information on The Schengen Agreement and the Schengen Visa Regulations.

Upon your request, the International Office will issue an offcial letter of invitation as part of your visa application.

Registration and De-registration of Residency

When moving to Germany with the intention of staying for longer than three months contrary to a tourist, you need to register your address in person at the Residence Registration Office within two weeks of your arrival. De-registration when leaving Germany need not be done in person, but by filling out the respective form and by sending it to the Town hall. For further valuable information and forms available for download, please go to the website of Munich's Residence Registration Office.

Residence Permit for the Purpose of Studies

Do you need a residence permit? With the exception of nationals from EU countries, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, and Lichtenstein, who do not need to apply for a residence permit, all other foreign nationals need a residence permit to stay in Germany for longer than 90 days. The German residence permit for the purpose of studies will allow you to study or carry out research in Germany beyond the period of 90 days. After entering Germany, firstly, register your address in Munich at the Residence Registration Office (Bürgerbüro) operated by the Department of Public Order (Kreisverwaltungsreferat) within two weeks. Secondly, you will need to apply for a residence permit for the purpose of studies by handing in the following documents to the Foreigners Office:

  • Application form (completed in full)
  • Valid passport
  • One recent photograph that satisfies biometric criteria (photo booths available at the Foreigners Office)
  • Your UniBwM enrollment certificate
  • Proof of adequate funding (e.g. a formal obligation by a third party)
  • Proof of adequate health insurance
    For more information, please visit the website of Munich's Foreigners Office.