Munich - the place to be!

You would like to apply at UniBw M to study as an exchange student from a partner university or to do an internship/conduct research at one of our technical departments? Welcome to Munich and to UniBw M! Whether you want to take part in a student exchange program or carry out research, we are pleased that you have our university in mind. Living and learning, researching and teaching: on our campus these concepts constitute an inseparable unity.

In addition, Munich, the surrounding area, and the Alps have a lot to offer the whole year round. Take advantage of the many cultural attractions in Bavaria! Getting to know the country that you intend to visit, including its people and its culture, can also be a valuable part of your study abroad experience.

Information for already nominated and accepted exchange students at a glance: Download the Fact Sheet for Studies and the Fact Sheet for Research (traineeshps, Bachelor's or Master's thesis or research for your doctoral thesis).

Exchange Students from Partner Universities

UniBw M was established in order to provide officers of the German Federal Armed Forces with a university-level education. 80% of our students are selected by the German Ministry of Federal Defences. For this reason, sending an application directly to the University is not an option. International students can study at our university in the framework of an exchange program with another university (partner) or if they are sent by a defence ministry of a foreign country. The latter requires a special agreement between the ministries. You can find out whether such an agreement has been made between Germany and your home country by contacting your home country’s ministry of defences. If you have further questions regarding this procedure, please contact the German Military Attaché at the German Embassy in your home country.

Exchange students are non-degree seeking students who have been selected by a partner university for studies at UniBw M for a maximum period of 12 months within the scope of an exchange program (e.g. Erasmus+) or a bilateral university agreement.

After completing their stay at UniBwM, exchange students will return to their home university in order to complete their degree programs.

Studies at UniBw M in a Few Easy Steps


Have you been selected by your home university for studying abroad at UniBw M within the ERASMUS+ program or a bilateral university agreement and nominated for an exchange with us? Before you can apply as an exchange student at UniBw M, your application is subject to your nomination by your home university. As exchange student from a partner university, tuition fees do not apply while at UniBw M.

Nomination deadlines:
  Trimester Dates: Nomination Deadlines
Fall Trimester: October – December April 30
Winter Trimester: January – March July 31
Spring Trimester: April – June October 31

Nominations only by email from the responsible coordinator of the home university. The following information is requested:

  • student's full name
  • email address
  • major
  • desired period of stay
  • desired type of stay

Application Deadlines


Application deadlines for sending us your application as an exchange student for studies, who wants to attend courses and participate in exams at UniBw M, are:

  Trimester Dates: Application Deadlines
Fall Trimester: October – December May 31
Winter Trimester: January – March August 31
Spring Trimester: April – June November 30

Application deadlines for an Erasmus+ Traineeship, a Bachelor’s or Master’s thesis or Research for your doctoral thesis:

The timeframe of your traineeship, Bachelor’s or Master’s thesis or research is not bound to the trimester dates as you will not be participating in courses and exams at our university. Therefore, send your application documents by email at least 5 months before your expected arrival.

Application Documents for Studies

Exchange students for studies, who want to attend courses and participate in exams, please submit a single copy of each of the following documents within the deadlines indicated above:

  • Registration form
  • Letter of Motivation in English or German (approx. 1 page outlining your motivation for studying abroad at UniBw M)
  • Transcript of records (= itemized academic performance to date). If you are a Master's student, please also include your transcript from the Bachelor's degree. We accept transcripts in German or English (if necessary, please translate and have the translation certified and stamped by your home university). A simple copy is sufficient. 
  • CV in German or English
  • Photocopy of your passport/ID card
  • For ERASMUS+ students: Learning Agreement (or Study program): list of courses you want to attend at UniBw M (If you have questions please discuss your study plans with your Erasmus Officer at your home university and the International Affairs Delegate at your UniBw M department) to e completed complete in German or in English. Please check with your home university, if a special form is needed. 
  • Digital confirmation of sufficient health and nursing care insurance in conformity with German legal requirements (for more information, see "Health and Nursing Care Insurance)
  • German language certificate (a certificate confirming your current German language skills; this certificate can be issued by your home university or by a language school), in case you intend to attend courses in German at UniBw M
  • One passport photograph (it is needed on your enrollment request form)

Please send your application documents (with the exception of the passport picture) by email to

Application Documents for Traineeships, Bachelor's or Master's thesis or Research

If you are an exchange student who wants to come to UniBw M for an Erasmus+ Traineeship, a Bachelor’s or Master’s thesis or Research for your doctoral thesis, please send your application documents by email (no hard copy needed) as a pdf file to the International Office, Inbound Mobility Coordinator:

The application should include the following documents:

  • completed registration form
  • curriculum vitae
  • transcript of records
  • A one-page abstract of the research focus of your bachelor's, master's or doctoral thesis:
    This one-page abstract is very important for me in order to be able to find a suitable professor in one of our many departments who is willing to academically supervise your bachelor's, master's or research for doctoral thesis.
    The exposé is not needed for ERASMUS+ Traineeships!
  • a valid university enrolment certificate
  • a copy of your passport
  • filled in Confirmation of Insurance

Language Requirements

The great majority of courses are taught in German language. To attend these courses, German skills at proficiency level are key. UniBw M departments request a German language certificate of at least level B1. For studies at the department of Social Sciences proof of German skills at B2 level are required.

Please provide a valid German language certificate or have the DAAD (= German Academic Exchange Service) Language Certificate completed by a qualified and licenced German language teacher.

If you would like to attend courses in English, an excellent knowledge of English - at least B1 - is indispensable.
A very small number of courses in English language are sometimes offered by a few departments. Please see "Degree Programs and Courses in English".

For completing an internship/traineeship or for writing your Bachelor's or Master's thesis at our university, no German skills are required. Good English skills at a high level (at least B2) are key. 

Course Selection

Every degree program at UniBw M comes with a specific module handbook that contains an overview of the overall composition and module structure of a specific study program, including detailed descriptions of every module to be completed during the study program as well as information on the contents of lectures, seminars and trainings, assessment, and the amount of ECTS points awarded for each module. You can download the module handbook (in German) from the website of each degree program.

The academic year at UniBw M is devided in trimesters, not semesters, please see more on our Academic Calendar here.

The UniBw M electronic course catalogue contains detailed information and timetables for all courses offered by all departments during the forthcoming/running trimesters. Unfortunately, you will not be able to gain access to this information until after you will have arrived at our university, as you will need an activated log-in account to do so, which can only be set up upon your arrival at our computer center.

Contact us for further information on courses offered in English and/or assistance in composing your Learning Agreement. We will refer your academic questions about classes to the international affairs delegate at the respective UniBw M department.

Health and Nursing Care Insurance

All students, who want to come to UniBw M to attend courses and participate in exams, are obliged to take out a valid health and nursing care insurance policy. As you are an exchange student coming to our university from a partner university for studies, you will need to give proof of valid health and nursing care insurance upon your arrival for enrollment. Proof of health and nursing care insurance that is in conformity with German laws and regulations is mandatory for all students in order to be enrolled at a German university.

For further information, pllease visit the website of the German Academic Exchange Service, which has explained and summarized the topic very well. 

PLEASE NOTE: International emergency travel insurance policies do not conform to German laws and regulations concerning student health and nursing care insurance as they only cover in case of emergency, and will not be accepted for enrollment.

How to give valid proof of health and nursing care insurance?

Students from countries in the EU:

The AOK is a non-profit oriented health insurance organization and one of the largest German health insurance providers. Their advisors will verify your current health insurance policy regarding its conformity German regulations: If your current health insurance policy is suitable for admission at a German university, your AOK advisor will issue the certificate of health insurance "for enrollment at the university" that you will need for enrollment. Please send an email including a copy of your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) to the AOK student service:

Shortly after, your insurance status is digitally reported to UniBw M by the German statutory health insurance company (e.g. AOK).

Students from non-EU countries:

Write an email including your current international health insurance policy (sending the health insurance card is not enough as the responsible person will not be able to verify the specific conditions and the coverage) to the AOK student service:

The AOK is a non-profit oriented health insurance organization and one of the largest German health insurance organizations. The AOK advisors will verify your current health insurance policy free of any charge.

In case the AOK sends you a negative reply that your health insurance cannot be accepted for enrollment at a German university, you must select a German health insurance company and conclude a contract with it. Here are some suggestions:

  • The "German Academic Exchange Service" offers an affordable combined health, accident and liability insurance package (costs are around 190,00 EUR per month)
  • The private health insurance policy “MAWISTA STUDENT PRO” is recognized/ approved for enrollment at a German university (around EUR 100 per month)
  • The student fee for statutory insurance is around EUR 120 per month with any statutory, non-profit German health insurance company. In Germany there are many state health insurances and the AOK or TK are one option among many. Since the contribution rate for students is the same nationwide regardless of the chosen statutory health insurance company and the benefits of the statutory health insurance companies are always the same, you may as well take out a student health insurance policy with the AOK or TK for the duration of your studies at UniBw M.

Once your health and nursing care insurance has been approved with a German insurer, they will digitally send confirmation of your valid insurance to UniBw M.

Visa Regulations

EU nationals do not require a visa to enter the Federal Republic of Germany.

Non-EU nationals
Most other foreigners do require a visa for stays in Germany. For visits up to 90 days in a 180-day period a visa is not required for nationals of those countries for which the EU has abolished the visa requirements. You will find a good overview on visa requirements on the website of Germany's Federal Foreign Office.

The Federal Foreign Office also provides detailed information on The Schengen Agreement and the Schengen Visa Regulations.

Upon your request, the International Office will issue an offcial letter of invitation as part of your visa application.

Registration and De-registration of Residency

When moving to Germany with the intention of staying for longer than three months contrary to a tourist, you need to register your address in person at the Residence Registration Office within two weeks of your arrival. De-registration when leaving Germany need not be done in person, but can be done online. For further valuable information and the registration form available for download, please go to the website of Munich's Residence and Registration Office.

Residence Permit for the Purpose of Studies

Do you need a residence permit? With the exception of nationals from EU countries, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, and Lichtenstein, who do not need to apply for a residence permit, all other foreign nationals need a residence permit to stay in Germany for longer than 90 days. The German residence permit for the purpose of studies will allow you to study or carry out research in Germany beyond the period of 90 days. After entering Germany, firstly, register your address in Munich at the Residence Registration Office (Bürgerbüro) operated by the Department of Public Order (Kreisverwaltungsreferat) within two weeks. Secondly, you will need to apply for a residence permit for the purpose of studies by handing in the following documents to the Foreigners Office:

  • Application form (to be downloaded from the website of Munich's Forein Office and to be completed in full)
  • Valid passport
  • One recent photograph that satisfies biometric criteria (photo booths available at the Foreigners Office)
  • Your UniBw M enrollment certificate/ invitation letter
  • Proof of adequate funding (e.g. a formal obligation by a third party)
  • Proof of adequate health insurance

For more information and forms to be downloaded, please visit the website of Munich's Foreigners Office.

Useful Links