Further Information for Exchange Students for Studies

UniBwM was established in order to provide officers of the German Federal Armed Forces with a university-level education.  Our students are selected by the German Ministry of Federal Defences.  For this reason, sending an application directly to the University is not an option. International students can study at our university in the framework of an exchange program with another university (partner) or if they are sent by a defence ministry of a foreign country. The latter requires a special agreement between the ministries. You can find out whether such an agreement has been made between Germany and your home country by contacting your home country’s ministry of defences.  If you have further questions regarding this procedure, please contact the German Military Attaché at the German Embassy in your home country.

Exchange students are non-degree seeking students who have been selected by a partner university for studies at UniBw M for a maximum period of 12 months within the scope of an exchange program (e.g. Erasmus+) or a bilateral university agreement.

For a table of all UniBwM partner unversities, please download the current list.

After completing their stay at UniBwM, exchange students will return to their home university in order to complete their degree programs.

Information for already nominated and accepted exchange students at a glance: Download the Study Abroad at UniBw M Fact Sheet for Studies and the Study Abroad at Unibw M Fact Sheet for Erasmus+ Traineeships.

Exchange at UniBwM in a few easy steps


Have you been selected by your home university for studying abroad at UniBw M within the ERASMUS+ program or a bilateral university agreement and nominated for an exchange with us? Before you can apply as an exchange student at UniBw M, your application is subject to your nomination by your home university. As exchange student from a partner university, tuition fees do not apply while at UniBw M.

Application Deadlines

The application deadlines for sending us your application as an exchange student are:

June 30th  when applying for the forthcoming Fall trimester (from October until December)
September 30th when applying for the upcoming
Winter trimester (from January until March)
January 15th
when applying for the Spring trimester of each year (from April until June)

Application Documents

Please submit a single copy of each of the following documents within the deadlines indicated above:

  • Registration form
  • Letter of Motivation in English or German (approx. 1 page outlining your motivation for studying abroad at UniBw M)
  • Transcript of records (= itemized academic performance to date). If you are a Master's student, please also include your transcript from the Bachelor's degree. We accept transcripts in German or English (if necessary, please translate and have the translation certified and stamped by your home university). A simple copy is sufficient. 
  • Document listing the courses you are enrolled in this current semester and that are in pending and consequently not yet listed on your transcript of records (courses in pending)
  • CV in German or English
  • Photocopy of your passport/ID card
  • Learning Agreement (or Study program): list of courses you want to attend at UniBw M (If you have questions please discuss your study plans with your Erasmus Officer at your home university and the International Affairs Delegate at your UniBw M department). Please complete the learning agreement in German or in English. Please check with your home university, if a special form is needed. 
  • Certificate of health and nursing care insurance in conformity with German legal requirements (to be provided at the latest two weeks before arrival)
  • German language certificate (a certificate confirming your current German language skills; this certificate can be issued by your home university or by a language school), in case you intend to attend courses in German at UniBw M
  • Two passport photographs (to be handed to me upon arrival; one is needed for your enrollment request and the second one for your sports membership card)

Please send your application documents (with the exception of the two passport pictures) by email to susanna.nofal@unibw.de.

Language Requirements

The great majority of courses taught at UniBw M, are taught in German language. When intending to attend these courses, German skills at proficiency level are key.
UniBw M departments in the technical fields request a German language certificate of at least level B1. For studies at the Social Sciences department of Human Sciences department, proof of German skills at B2 level are the requirement. Please provide us with a valid German language certificate or have this DAAD (= German Academic Exchange Service) Language Certificate completed by a qualified and licenced German language teacher.

If you would like to attend courses in English, an excellent knowledge of English - at least B2 - is indispensable.

For completing an internship/traineeship or for writing your Bachelor's or Master's thesis at our university, no German skills are required. However, your English skills should be at a high level (at least B2). 

Course Selection

Every degree program at UniBw M comes with a specific module handbook that contains an overview of the overall composition and module structure of a specific study program, including detailed descriptions of every module to be completed during the study program as well as information on the contents of lectures, seminars and trainings, assessment, and the amount of ECTS points awarded for each module. You can download these module handbooks (in German) on our university website.

The academic year at UniBw M is devided in trimesters, not semesters. Please download our Academic Calender 2020. The UniBw M electronic course catalogue contains detailed information and timetables for all courses offered by all departments during the forthcoming/running trimesters.
Unfortunately, you will not be able to gain access to this information until after you will have arrived at our university, as you will need an activated log-in account to do so, which can only be set up upon your arrival at our computer center.

Contact us for further information on courses offered in English and/or assistance in composing your Learning Agreement. We will refer your academic questions about classes to the International Affairs Delegate at the respective UniBw M department.

Health and Nursing Care Insurance

In Germany, all students are obliged to take out a valid health and nursing care insurance policy. As you are an exchange student coming to our university from a partner university for studies, you will need to give proof of valid health and nursing care insurance upon your arrival for enrollment. Proof of health and nursing care insurance that is in conformity with German laws and regulations is mandatory for all students in order to be enrolled at a German university. As a rule these certificates of valid German regulated health and nursing care insurance bear the stamp “for enrollment at the university”.

For further information, pllease visit the website of the German Academic Exchange Service, which has explained and summarized the topic very well. 

PLEASE NOTE: International emergency travel insurance policies do not conform to German laws and regulations concerning student health and nursing care insurance as they only cover in case of emergency, and will not be accepted for enrollment.

How to give valid proof of health and nursing care insurance?

Students from countries in the EU:

The AOK is a non-profit oriented health insurance organization and one of the largest German health insurance providers. Their advisors will verify your current health insurance policy regarding its conformity German regulations: If your current health insurance policy is suitable for admission at a German university, your AOK advisor will issue the certificate of health insurance "for enrollment at the university" that you will need for enrollment. Please send the completed AOK-Form and a copy of your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) via email to the AOK student service: muenchen.studenten@service.by.aok.de

Shortly after you will receive your valid certificate of health insurance for enrollment at UniBw M. Please send me this document (by email) about 2 weeks before your arrival. Thank you.

Students from non-EU countries:

Write an email including your current international health insurance policy (sending the health insurance card is not enough as the responsible person will not be able to verify the specific conditions and the coverage), and the completed AOK-Form (attached) to the AOK student service: muenchen.studenten@service.by.aok.de

The AOK is a non-profit oriented health insurance organization and one of the largest German health insurance organizations. The AOK advisors will verify your current health insurance policy free of any charge.

In case the AOK sends you a negative reply that your health insurance cannot be accepted for enrollment at a German university, you must select a German health insurance company and conclude a contract with it. Here are some suggestions:

  • The "German Academic Exchange Service" offers an affordable combined health, accident and liability insurance package (costs are around 140,00 EUR per month)
  • The private health insurance policy “mawista” is recognized/ approved for enrollment at a German university (Student Classic plus package, around 40,00 EUR per month)
  • The student fee for statutory insurance is around 110,00 € per month with any statutory, non-profit German health insurance company. In Germany there are many state health insurances and the AOK is one option among many. Since the contribution rate for students is the same nationwide regardless of the chosen statutory health insurance company and the benefits of the statutory health insurance companies are always the same, you may as well take out a student health insurance policy with the AOK for the duration of your studies at UniBw M. Complete the application form sent to you by your AOK advisor, sign it and send it back to the advisor. If you need help with filling in the form, please contact me. You will receive your certificate of valid health and nursing care insurance required for enrollment soon after sending the filled in application form.

In order to receive the certificate "for enrolment at the university", write an email including your new health insurance policy and the completed AOK-Form (attached) to the AOK student service: muenchen.studenten@service.by.aok.de

Instead of mailing the certificate to your German address, the AOK may also instruct you to pick up the certificate in person at its offices in Munich near the main train station. Please do this within the first week after your arrival in Munich. The address is: AOK Bayern, Landsberger Straße 150 – 152 (street and street no.), 80339 München (postal code and city).

Visa Regulations

EU nationals do not require a visa to enter the Federal Republic of Germany.

Non-EU nationals
Most other foreigners do require a visa for stays in Germany. For visits up to 90 days in a 180-day period a visa is not required for nationals of those countries for which the EU has abolished the visa requirements. You will find a good overview on visa requirements on the website of Germany's Federal Foreign Office.

The Federal Foreign Office also provides detailed information on The Schengen Agreement and the Schengen Visa Regulations.

Upon your request, the International Office will issue an offcial letter of invitation as part of your visa application.

Registration and De-registration of Residency

When moving to Germany with the intention of staying for longer than three months contrary to a tourist, you need to register your address in person at the Residence Registration Office within two weeks of your arrival. De-registration when leaving Germany need not be done in person, but by filling out the respective form and by sending it to the Town hall. For further valuable information and forms available for download, please go to the website of Munich's Residence and Registration Office.

Residence Permit for the Purpose of Studies

Do you need a residence permit? With the exception of nationals from EU countries, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, and Lichtenstein, who do not need to apply for a residence permit, all other foreign nationals need a residence permit to stay in Germany for longer than 90 days. The German residence permit for the purpose of studies will allow you to study or carry out research in Germany beyond the period of 90 days. After entering Germany, firstly, register your address in Munich at the Residence Registration Office (Bürgerbüro) operated by the Department of Public Order (Kreisverwaltungsreferat) within two weeks. Secondly, you will need to apply for a residence permit for the purpose of studies by handing in the following documents to the Foreigners Office:

  • Application form (completed in full)
  • Valid passport
  • One recent photograph that satisfies biometric criteria (photo booths available at the Foreigners Office)
  • Your UniBw M enrollment certificate
  • Proof of adequate funding (e.g. a formal obligation by a third party)
  • Proof of adequate health insurance

For more information and forms to be downloaded, please visit the website of Munich's Foreigners Office.