In Germany, most people are obliged by law to have health and nursing care insurance. As this obligation applies to both national as international students, exchange students are required to register with a statutory health insurance or a private health insurance provider. Usually, policies are offered to students at discounted fees. Proof of health and nursing care insurance that is in conformity with German laws and regulations is mandatory for all students in order to be enrolled at a German university. As a rule these certificates of vaild German regulated health and nursing care insurance bear the stamp "For submission to authorities".
For further reading on the topic, please visit the website of the German Academic Exchange Service or download the information sheet.

PLEASE NOTE: International emergency travel insurance policies do not conform to German laws and regulations concerning student health and nursing care insurance as they only cover in case of emergency, and will not be accepted for enrollment.

How to give valid proof of health and nursing care insurance?

Students from countries in the EU:
Please send the completed  AOK-Form and a copy of your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) via email to this email address:
Shortly after you will receive your valid certificate of health insurance for enrollment at UniBwM.

Students from non-EU countries:

Write an email including your current international health insurance policy, your personal information such as your name, date of birth, home country, and sex, to:
The AOK is a non-profit oriented health insurance organisation and one of the largest German health insurance organisations. Their advisors will varify your current health insurance policy regarding its conformity German regulations:
If your current health inusrance policy is suitable for admission at a German university, your AOK advisor will issue the certificate of health insurance "for authorities" or "for submission at a German university" that you will need for enrollment.
In case the AOK advisor sends you a reply notifying you that your health insurance cannot be accepted for enrollment at a German university, proceed as follows:

  • The "German Academic Exchange Service" offers an affordable combined health, accident and liability insurance package (costs are around 140,00 EUR per month); the German Academic Exchange Service also issues a health insurance certificate bearing the stamp “For authorities” or “For submission to a German university”.
  • For German statutory student health insurance, complete the application form sent to you by AOK, and sign it. You will need a German address and a German bank account for payment. If those details are not available to you yet, please leave out as address and bank details can be given later after your arrival in Germany when you will need to open a German bank account. Scan your filled out and signed application form to your AOK-adviser and you will receive your certificate of valid health and nursing care insurance required for enrollment soon after (costs are around 80,00 EUR per month)